The concept of transformational leadership assists in transforming the workplace so that there are high motivation levels for the leaders and the employees. Every company has specific objectives and goals.
When they are in sync with the purposes of the leaders and the employees, it can bring about organizational success.
The leaders should see that there is motivation in the staff and the proper implementation of the leadership styles to fulfill the members’ needs.
Transformational leadership can apply in every field. Even in the nursing field, there will be a need for such leadership styles that will bring better solutions for the healthcare organization.
These organizations are working hard to come up with the best healthcare solution where there is complete patient satisfaction.
Relevance Of Transformational Leadership In Nursing
As per James MacGregor Burns, transformational leadership is the event wherein individuals motivate one another and boost morale so that there are high levels of motivation and confidence in the organization.
While we talk about the nursing field, nurses and leader nurses must play a key role in motivating the other staff in the healthcare setup.
When a transformational leadership style is adopted, there will be better integrity and moral values. In a healthcare organization, the team would need constant support and motivation. Thus applying transformational leadership here provides excellent results. Here’s a detailed overview of how it is crucial.
1. A transformational nurse leader can motivate followers.
With transformational leadership style, it means that the leader nurse should provide foals to the other nurses.
There should be an identification of what the organization is expecting and What can provide patients satisfaction. The leader nurse tries to understand the individual needs and how the other nurses on the staff need a morale boost to work in a better way.
The staff gets good support at every step, so the team wants to stay within the organization. The morale among the employees is good because of the impact of the transformational leadership style.
2. The transformational leadership style can enhance team spirit.
To achieve a goal, the team spirit will be needed. When nurse leaders apply a transformational leadership style, they collaborate with the employees and work with a good team spirit. Now that all the staff members want to achieve that one common goal, there is unity among them, which can benefit the organization.
This leadership style believes in providing due support to the members that can help them grow and also have a feeling of belonging within the team.
3. It enhances productivity and performance.
The other staff members feel included when the leader nurses apply a transformational leadership style.
When there is a feeling of belonging, the individuals will perform better, and there will be an enhancement in productivity.
Nurses know the importance of patient care. When the leader nurses provide a framework about how there will be patient satisfaction, it will become the pathway for the other staff members. The proper guidance that the staff gets will help them to work well and keep up the excellent performance.
4. Transformational leadership style can help in better patient satisfaction.
When there is the adoption and implementation of a transformational leadership style in nursing, besides job satisfaction, there will also be better patient satisfaction.
When the patients get good care and quality support, the healthcare organization has a better reputation.
What Qualities Should A Transformational Leader Have In The Nursing Field?
To become a transformational leader in the nursing field, the leader nurse should have these below-mentioned qualities.
In most cases, healthcare organizations choose candidates who have in-built qualities in them. But if someone shows potential, they can also be mentored to become a transformational leader. Read on, and you will get clarity over the concept.
Good in communication
Successful transformational leaders should be good at communication. In the nursing field also0 this golds true.
If a person lacks this trait, it can be rectified with the right coaching. Successful leaders must talk in such a way that they boost the morale of the other employees. When the leader nurse communicates the goals to the healthcare workers, they will have clarity over what needs to be done.
Supportive and motivating
The transformational nurse leader should be supportive. The person should have such an image that when the members need some morale support, technical support, or some other solution, they will come to the leader. At various times, the staff members will need guidance too.
The leader should always be ready to provide relevant support to the members of the organization.
Balanced enough to resolve conflicts
Transformational nurse leaders should check what things are happening around them. If the work atmosphere seems tense or conflicts are going on, then that should be solved quickly.
The nurse leader should heed the problems rather than avoid the conflicts; there should be steps to solve them. The leader should be unbiased and should address the problem.
Positive and empathetic
Leaders should have specific traits in them, and only they can transform people’s attitudes. A leader nurse should have positivity and empathy. Times will be tough, and there might be solid challenges.
When the leader nurses apply positive approaches and problem-solving techniques, there will be better solutions. Leaders have different strategies that would help clarify the goals. The members know whom they should go to for morale support and problem solutions.
When the leaders in an organization stay open-minded and boost the morale of the other team members or the nursing staff, there will be betterment in the organization’s processes and work patterns.
When there are opportunities provided for everyone to develop and get job satisfaction, it will provide a healthy environment at the workplace too.
Adaptable to changing situations
Often there will be challenging situations at work. The leader nurse must adapt to the condition. Involving the other team members in these difficult situations can offer them a chance to develop their skills and sharpen their talents.
In any work, there will be challenges, and if the leaders stay strong at such times, they motivate the followers too. In healthcare setups, there will be changing situations. The leaders must be open to face them effectively. This way, they set an example for the staff members too.
Now you know about the qualities of a good leader nurse and the benefits of having them in the organization.
More important is implementing a transformational leadership style in the healthcare setup. But first, understand the components of transformational leadership, as they help strategize the implementation.
What Are The Four Critical Components Of Transformational Leadership?
The four essential components of transformational leadership include:
- Idealized influence
- Inspirational motivation
- Individual consideration
- Intellectual stimulation
All these four components will be helpful when the leader wants to implement a transformational leadership style in the organization.
How To Implement Transformational Leadership In Nursing?
1. The leader nurse must set an example.
When leaders keep a practical approach, they can set higher goals for their followers in the nursing field. The leader nurse should set an example. When there is someone who can be your role model, the motivation levels will also be good enough.
When the follower staff checks how the leader nurse has set the example, they also want to match up with that level. If the leaders want to implement a transformational leadership style, then there should be betterment in their performance.
Once that happens, there will also be excellent work culture among the team members. Here, the leader practices idealized influence.
2. The leader needs to assess the employees and their needs.
Transformational leaders assess the individual staff member’s skill sets and needs. Here, the leader nurse must observe the members and check what kind of skill sets they have. If at all they lack, then what’s that? Coaching or mentoring them can also be done if there is a need to coach or mentor them.
The leader nurse should be dedicated to creating a healthy work atmosphere at the workplace to develop the overall team. Here comes individual consideration in the picture.
3. The leader must encourage creative thinking among the staff members.
The leader nurse must entrust the tasks depending upon the skill sets that the members have. There should be a discussion about cases.
With this, the leader must encourage the staff members to think creatively and be part of the relevant nursing solutions. If there is good mentorship in the role of the leader, it will show in the work patterns of the staff members. It means that the inspirational motivation component is practiced here.
4. Leader nurses must outline organizational objectives.
The leader nurse knows the collective goals and the company’s objectives. The same should be outlined and discussed with the members.
Only when the followers have clear goals will they know how to move ahead and achieve those goals. They need someone to bear the torch, and then they can follow that light.
The leaders must provide the gist of organizational objectives to the followers. In the healthcare industry, staff members follow the protocols, and sometimes they become so busy that they need to remember that there are higher goals too which can only be achieved by changing their mindset.
5. Training the staff whenever the need arises
Transformational leadership in nursing is about assessing whether the skill sets of the nurses or the staff members are updated depending upon the need of the hour. If the nurses are lagging, then there should be training sessions held for them.
The leader should keep an eye on the staff members to understand what keeps them back. How to mentor them and develop their thinking are all these things the leader nurse will think about. Here you will see the component of intellectual stimulation.
6. Practicing fairness at all levels
Transformational leadership should bring about positive change in the organizational systems. Even in the nursing field, leaders should practice fairness at all levels. When there is fairness, the employees feel they are part of the organization and will work productively. There will be trust among the members, and they will understand that the leader also does tasks in good faith.
With the above discussion, it is clear that transformational leadership is a step forward to making positive systemic changes in the organization. Transformational leadership style works in every field, including the nursing field.
This leadership style inspires the members, and then the organization as a whole can achieve great results. The leaders must provide valuable feedback time and again to the members so that they stay motivated and are further inspired to do great work with excellent results.
Transformational Leadership In Nursing Examples
Here are some examples of transformational leadership in nursing:
- Empowering nurses to take the lead in patient care, encouraging them to share their ideas, and facilitating their professional development.
- Encouraging a culture of open communication, active listening, and collaboration among healthcare providers to improve patient outcomes.
- Promoting a shared vision among nursing staff to improve the quality of care and patient safety.
- Motivating nurses to think creatively and innovatively to find solutions to complex problems in patient care.
- Emphasizing the importance of continuing education and training for nurses to keep them up-to-date with the latest developments in the field.
- Encouraging nurses to take on leadership roles within their teams and departments and providing them with the support and resources needed to succeed.
- Creating a culture of trust, respect, and shared responsibility promotes teamwork and collaboration among nurses and other healthcare providers.
- Recognizing and rewarding excellence in nursing practice and providing opportunities for professional growth and advancement.
- Fostering a patient-centered approach to nursing care that focuses on individual patients’ needs, preferences, and values.
- Advocating for the nursing profession and promoting public awareness of nurses‘ vital role in healthcare delivery.
Transformational Leadership In Healthcare Organizations
Here are some examples of transformational leadership in healthcare organizations:
- Visionary leadership inspires and motivates employees to achieve a common goal and shared vision.
- Empowering employees to take the initiative, innovate, and take ownership of their work.
- Creating a culture of trust and transparency that fosters open communication and collaboration.
- Encouraging learning and development and providing opportunities for employees to develop their skills and knowledge.
- Encouraging diversity and inclusion and recognizing the value of different perspectives and backgrounds.
- Emphasizing the importance of quality and patient-centered care and promoting a culture of continuous improvement.
- Advocating for patients and their families and working to improve the patient experience.
- Promoting teamwork and collaboration among healthcare providers and encouraging a multidisciplinary approach to patient care.
- Emphasizing ethical and moral principles in decision-making and promoting a culture of integrity and honesty.
- Encouraging community engagement and social responsibility and promoting initiatives that benefit the community at large.
Transformational leadership style is one of the best ways to teach fairness, inspiration, and motivation among staff members. The healthcare industry also needs several employees, including nurses.
Running large organizations without motivated individuals can be a big challenge. Transformational leaders provide the proper framework for staff members to grow, develop, think creatively, and perform their tasks with finesse. The results that they get are patient satisfaction and, of course, job satisfaction too.
The transformational leadership concept stays on the foundation that members can grow in many different ways.
They can think creatively and figure out things for remarkable results. This leadership style is open to providing due support for the members and setting an apt example.
- Beginner’s Guide For Time Management For Nurses
- Transformational Leadership Guide: Inspire and Motivate
- Charismatic Leadership Vs Transformational Leadership
- Leadership In Healthcare: Importance, Benefits & Challenges
- 90+ Best Nurse Case Manager Performance Review Phrases
Carol T. Mahaffey is a certified American Author And a creator of Theleaderboy. Carol is a Self-Taught Marketer with 10+ Years of Experience. She brings her decade of experience to her current role, where she is dedicated to writing books, blogs, and articles, inspiring the world on how to become a better Leader.