“The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak is set in 1939 Nazi Germany. It tells the story of a little girl, Liesel, and her love affair with books against the brutal background of Nazi Germany.
Narrated by death himself, this story burns with intensity.
The Book Thief Quotes
– WORDS; I have loved them for the freedom they have given me, and I have hated them for the evil they have caused, and I sincerely hope that I have done justice to them.
– Do not be deluded by happy times; most misery starts with an illusion of happiness.
– It pains me to see how people die and what they leave behind after them.
– Do you know what can be worse than a boy who doesn’t love you? A boy who truly loves you.
– You know even the formidable death has a heart, and humans haunt it.
– I wonder how the same human beings could be so beautiful and ugly at the same time and how their journeys and acts are both glorious and damning.
– To children, the proof that someone loves and cares about them is very simple: they never leave them alone.
– The human race is complicated and full of surprises. I always overestimate or underestimate it.
– A snowball can ensure a lasting friendship in the face.
– The strength of humans amidst absolute destruction amazes me. Even with their cheeks wet with tears and an unsure step, they move on.
– She stared at his lifeless body but did not say goodbye; she was incapable of saying goodbye.
– If only she could get her innocence back, could be oblivious to the world’s pains, feel uninhibited love, and not mistake it for laughter.
– The lemon-haired boy longed for a kiss from the book thief, but he was also afraid of it.
– Humans do many foolish things, but they at least have the common sense to die.
– I have seen the best and the worst of human nature. I have seen them beautiful and loving, and I have seen them greedy and vicious.
– My heart is so tired.
– Here is a universally true fact: You will die eventually.
– Even though I was glad that I was present there, it still punched a hole in my heart.
– Deep down within his heart, there was an itch, but he always avoided scratching it. He feared what might come out.
– Humans tend to notice the colors of the sky only at sunrise and sunset, but I, I observe them through all their ever-changing shades.
– A single day contains an array of shades and tones which change with every passing moment. A mere hour can consist of bright yellows, cool blues, fiery reds, and murky darkness.
The Book Thief Quotes
– They sat together and smiled as every careful thing collapsed into nothingness; they smiled at the beautiful destruction.
– Humans have always taken some amount of pleasure in destruction. It started with sand castles and a house of cards, though their ability to escalate is their true skill.
– Those days were the best of her life, and she never wanted them to end. She always watched the setting sun and the sky turning dark with a stone in her heart.
– I don’t look like your worst nightmare, and I don’t carry a scythe. If you want to know how I look, then go look in a mirror.
– If they managed to capture him and he met his death tonight, then at least he would die alive.
– My heart is a circle. I have the ability to be at the correct place at the right moment.
– If you are lucky enough to find a man who really sees and appreciates colors and even speaks them, then you should probably make him your friend.
– It might take you two weeks to bring about a change in the world, but it will only take fourteen days to destroy it.
– I am not always morose; I can be amiable and affable and all the Bs and C’s. What I cannot be is nice; nice has no relation to me.
– I stared at the stars, and they burned my eyes.
– No matter how hard you wish, you cannot cheat death; you cannot live forever.
– Words are the precious drops of water that fuel life.
– A person’s character can be determined by how well they keep their word.
– Why was he treated so wrong? What was his fault? He was a living reminder of human humanity.
– Can a person steal someone’s happiness?
– When my father smiled at me, I could hear the notes of his accordion.
– If you are human, then you probably understand self-obsession.
– Sometimes, even death feels like he needs a vacation.
– Sometimes, she wondered just when the words and the books came to mean not only something but everything.
– For an inexplicable reason, people on the verge of death ask a question to which they already know the answer. Maybe it is because they can die knowing they were right at that moment and perhaps their whole lives.
– It is easier to stand on the cliff’s precipice than to jump headlong into the abyss. That would still take some time.
– War is far from my best friend. It is more like an overbearing boss who stands over me and works me to my death.
– The word shakers are the ones who understand the power words hold. She was the best word shaker in the area because she understood how powerless and vulnerable one could be without words.
- Introductory Guide To Disc Personality Type
- People Oriented Leadership: Benefits, Tips, And Examples
- 100 Best Books on Self-Discipline and Self-Control
- 72+ Motivational Quotes On Becoming Rich
- Defining Leadership: How to Lead And Manage A Team
“Vision, strategy, and inspiration – these three words describe me the best. I am the founder of “TheLeaderboy” dedicated to leadership and personal development. As a self-taught practitioner, I have been studying the principles of effective leadership for the past decade and my passion lies in sharing my insights with others. My mission is to empower individuals to become better leader