For the companies, it’s important to understand the importance and how project management methodologies can affect the business.
Well, the project management methodologies are defined as logical related processes, methods, practices that help in determining the planning, development, and control as well as delivering the success of the project.
In short, having the ideal methodologies can save time, resources, and results.
To understand what the options are in choosing the project management methodology and other aspects, here is what you should know.
How To Choose And When To Choose Project Management Methodology?
There are some of the factors that can help you in choosing the management methodology.
Also when you are choosing, here are a few steps that you can consider for your project.
Step 1: Determining Variables
Start with determining the variables of your project. Get the list of things and compare it to the variables to your goals.
Step 2: Identify And See The Impact
When you look for the methodologies, consider the metrics and how the methodology will impact your plans as well as goals.
Step 3: Compare To Find The Right One
There are different options you get, it’s important for you to compare with each other.
Look for all the pros and cons, and what will fit your requirement.
Step 4: Look For The Risks And Best Results
Identifying the methodologies and how they will impact your business goals can help you highlight the risks too. Every methodology comes with some risks that can impact what you are hoping for as your results.
Step 5: Consult With Others
Take other people who are working on the project, take them on board too. consult with the methodologies you have been considering to choose.
Involve the people to make the decisions so you can get more perspective on the options you have.
Step 6: Document & Apply The Method
Start with documenting the method you are considering going with. Also when you apply the methodology, measure all the performances.
If you are considering when you should get the project management methodology for you, well there are some ways that can help you. Such as:
- When you have the project scope defined
- Make sure your project cost is well calculated.
- Your stakeholders are defined.
- You have all conflicts and dependencies handles, identified as well as removed.
- Your tasks follow the same methodologies as well as the approach.
List Of Project Mabamaget Methodologies That You Can Choose
Well once you are all set to choose your project management methodologies, here are some of the options that you can consider.
Along with what is the method you are choosing, it’s important to understand the impact,
its advantages or disadvantages, etc too.
To start with here the top 20 management methodologies for your program.
The waterfall method focuses on linear and sequential approaches towards development.
This one is considered as the oldest but the rigid methodologies too.
The waterfall is created especially for construction and manufacturing industries.
The top-down approach requires the first stage to complete in order to start the next one.
- The waterfall method is highly structured.
- It comes with easy knowledge management which ensures that no key member leaves with complete knowledge of the project.
- The waterfall method is extremely rigid where the first step requires to be completed to progress.
- It requires a lot of planning and documentation which needs the unnecessary details to add as well.
Is It For You?
If you are looking for products that require firmly fixed requirements and defining everything clearly. The waterfall method is ideal for you to choose.
Also, the project is suitable especially when there is no need for changes or adapting to new conditions.
Takeaway: The waterfall method is useful for systematic processes which have unchanging as well as a predictable but creative process. However, it should not be the first choice.
2. Critical Path Method
Critical Path Method or CPM focuses on maximizing the projects and the activities along with finding the path or timelines that can be shortest for the task.
Using CPM helps in breaking the complex projects into smaller tasks in a sequence that requires completion in order to jump to the next one.
With this, you can avoid the bottlenecks that can allocate the resources and help in completing the work.
CPM is helpful for dealing with projects which have different dependent tasks. This is one of the methods that consider task dependency.
- The method helps in determining the smaller increments of time allowed for each stage.
- Also, the approach is predictable and helps in solving the hassle along the way.
- CPM can be complicated and heavy.
- If there is any requirement to do changes then it will require a lot of adjustment.
Is It For You?
If you are looking for a method that can help you in dealing with multi pronged and large projects where a lot of smaller steps need to be maintained along with the tight deadline. Well, this one’s for you.
Takeaway: Critical Path Method or CPM is an ideal approach for projects which deal with a tight deadline and detailed requirements.
However, it’s not good if you have smaller and creative projects.
Scrum is focused on delivering high and better quality.
Well, scrum is more like a framework instead of a project management methodology.
This one is an offshoot of agile project methodology and also carries similar principles, the process from the method.
However, it comes with some of its own tactics and specific methods too. This one tales the agile approach and determines in it with spirit terms for accomplishing the projects.
Here teams are formed on a common objective, completing with the signified sprints to the project’s individual
- A scrum is a flexible option for managing the project.
- It’s transparent
- Scrum heavily relies on a single person or scrum master who plays the key role in a leadership position to maintain the team members and working of the project.
- The method requires a lot of collaboration, proactiveness, and communication to be effective.
Is It For you?
Technical software development focuses on methodology, scrum helpful for you if you need the quick turnaround or ability for changing the scope.
Takeaway : A scrum is an ideal option for projects which require continually redefining through its process.
Agile follows the iterative model that helps in bringing continuous improvement. Also, it ensures product delivery.
This project methodology serves as a model that values collaboration as well as creativity over rigid plans.
Here the project is broken into a smaller section which is known as iterations.
Once it’s complete as well as reviewed by the stakeholders, the lesson learned from each iteration gets carried out to the next one.
- It focuses less on the documentation.
- Agile is highly flexible which keeps the collaboration fluid through the environment that is ever-changing.
- With agile, community is important
- It requires discipline and focus from all of its contributors.
Is It For You?
Well, agile is an appropriate form of the project method. It values communication, collaboration, and motivation over rigid procedures and processes.
Takeaway : Agile is ideal for projects which require changes more often. It can be used for products which you want feedback from the customers through the different production phases.
PRiSM is also known as Project Integrating Sustainable Method focuses on minimizing the impact of the project that can be negative on the environment.
Even after the delivery is done, the method follows as well as focuses on the sustainably maximizing ways.
- The method gives a sustainable approach.
- It has a value-based approach for the managers towards the project as well as sit contribution towards the environment and society.
- The approach can be effective but requires everyone from the company to invest themselves.
Is It For You?
- If you are a project belongs to the industries like manufacturing and construction where the impact on society as well as the environment can be profound.
- This one’s for you to consider as it is ideal for a large project.
Takeaway: The method is a great choice as it helps in reducing waste, carbon footprints, and energy consumption.
It gives an eco-friendly, consumer-friendly, socially responsible, and labor-friendly approach.
PRINCE 2 is also known as Projects In Controlled Environment. The method originated from the Uk government.
The selected project can be adapted to fulfill the requirements of the project regardless of its scale and type.
However, there are few stages that the method consists of.
- Starting up the project
- Initiating it
- the stage
- Prodjetc dlevering naagmeing
- Resources and boundaries management
- Closing the project
- It’s good when the project needs heavy directions.
- It removes the surprising changes or requirements.
- It needs heavy documentation.
- Also, it’s heavily based on a process that leaves little room for creativity customization, or altering.
Is It For You?
The project managers who require consistent as well as detailed methods for project management and achieving productivity, this approach can be useful.
Takeaway: PRINCE2 is the ideal method to consider for large-scale projects. Also, it’s good if it requires heavy documentation for the government agencies.
Scrumban focuses on reducing the waste and turnaround time and delivers the product and services in high quality.
Well, this methodology is a cross between Kanban and scrum. It provides the ultimate flexibility which is suitable for fast-paced projects.
- It’s lean and suitable for past faced projects.
- It’s flexible and suits the creative team that requires adapting changes frequently.
- It has no focus on documentation.
Is It For You?
For the managers who are looking for the methodology which can provide the lean and project is beneficial. Scrumban is suitable for them.
Takeaway: The scrumban methodology is suitable and can be used if the project requires a fast turnaround. However, subject to change.
Kanban is focused on the customer, fostering ongoing collaboration and helps in continuous learning.
Kanban is inspired by the project management method. It consists of adding the task cards one of four their categories, including :
- Idea backlog
Well with the process allows high flexibility to the project management and better visibility.
- It offers great transparency.
- It has more visible progress.
- It is not timeline-based.
Is It For You?
It’s an excellent tool especially for the creative team as that requires full visibility into each number and how much they are contributing to the complete process.
Takeaway: Using the methodology for a variety of projects especially the creative ones which revolve around marketing and advertising.
CCPM also stands for Critical Chain Project Management focused on optimizing resource usage.
CCPM is based on an idea that rarely goes as planned.
Well, some tasks get completed early whereas some others tasks twice or more than that.
When the projects are on the timeline are based on the timeline, using CCPM can buffer to compensate or level out. This can be the discrepancy between reality and forecasts.
- It helps in minimizing the resources from getting waste.
- It helps in optimizing human and physical resources.
- It can be relatively rigid
- It might be not suitable for the scope changes.
Is It For You?
The methodology can be widely used by managers who are interested in reducing wastage.
Also, it’s highly suitable when you want to stay on the decided schedule and not cross the timeline.
It works well as long as the nature of the process is not changing.
Takeaway: CCPM is suitable for almost any project which requires the minimization of waste and maximizing efficiency.
Also, it makes sure that the time Is not wasted and the projects follow the schedule. CCPM is ideal for consideration.
10. Project Management Institute’s PMBOK
Project Management Body Of Knowledge or PMBOK means guidance that helps in laying out the best practice believed in project management.
PMBOK is process-based. It attempts to define each step for the project management, so nothing gets ignored while planning and initiating the production of products.
- It can be extremely comprehensive.
- It suits the large products.
- It’s not for the small projects
Is It For You?
If you are the project manager overseeing the projects on large scales along with a multi-disciplined approach. This will be beneficial for utilizing the method.
Takeaway: Using Project Management Body Of Knowledge or PMBOK is an ideal choice for large-scale projects which have more investment of capital as well as human resources.
11. Six Sigma
Six Sigma focuses on eliminating wastage and improves the process as well as profitability.
It’s based on the production environment which uses the processes of six sigma.
Well, this aims to optimize the efficiency as well as creating the exact same product that the customer wants. It follows the five core principles i.e.
The project management is heavily based on data collection and analysis.
- It helps in optimizing the efficiency
- It has been around for decades, so it has a worth of time and benefits.
- It can be resource-intensive.
- It relies heavily on data analysis
Is It For You?
The methodology is suitable when the production environment is already implementing all the six sigma fundamentals in their business.
Takeaway: Well using Six Sigma to the project manager who is currently adhering to all of the six sigma to the production philosophy.
12. New Product Introduction
New product introduction or NPI is about the process that includes the planning, developing, producing, and introducing the new product, technology, and service.
However, it is also known as New Product Development or NPD.
Well NPI processes the entails that are contributed by all aspects from the organization for the new product.
It can include the planning, production, and implements for the product to meet the success.
Well the process depends on six different stages or it can be gated including :
- It helps in lowering the development cost.
- It takes a faster time in the market.
- It’s not ideal for simple products.
Is It For You?
NPI can be used in several sectors, but if you belong to the manufacturing industry, this can be highly beneficial.
Takeaway : NPI is an excellent idea that can deal with new product design where different stakeholders are at play along with stakes that are much higher with tight competition.
Lean development or LD focuses on reducing wastage and maximizing the output. It includes the stakeholder value boost too.
The method identifies all the values by eliminating different areas where the wastage happens. It can happen due to inefficient multitasking, timelines that are hard to meet, and overtasking.
However the method has its own right, Lean follows the philosophy of different other project management methods as well. It includes the Last planner system and Kanban.
- It helps in reducing wastage.
- It helps in boosting the flow of productivity.
- Keeps project management easier.
- It’s not suitable for management structures that are rigid in nature.
Is It For You?
Well if you are interested in creating your leaner process for achieving the flow to keep the effective project management. Lean development is suitable for you.
Takeaway: Lean development is ideal to use when the project requires to stand up in flexible parameters. This can help in reducing the waste and boosting the productivity that the project requires.
Integrated Project Management or IPM approaches the project which requires a variety of standpoint from start to finish to form the comprehensive plan.
Integrated project management is based on six different fundamentals. It includes:
- Project management plan
Hybrid project management combines the two primary methodologies. It includes Agile management which is fast-paced and highly flexible. And the next one is waterfall management which is a traditional process.
Well, the reason behind combining both prime methods is because different projects span on disciples variations.
It can be mechanical production that might suit more of the approach of the waterfall. And there are chances that some of the other projects do better with the agile approach.
The hybrid project methodology uses both model sprints but has stringent process parameters when required.
- It’s flexible.
- It can work with a majority of projects.
- It can be complicated
- It can be one-dimensional for projects.
Is It For You?
It’s suitable for multi-disciplined projects which consist of multiple phases. The managers can utilize the hybrid project management.
Takeaway: Hybrid is suitable for projects that go large to medium size that includes more discipline. For example, it can be a combination of manufacturing and software.
16. Joint Application Development
Joint Application Development or JAD is originally designed for software development. The methodology is applicable to most of the project.
Well, this one focuses on a workshop-style approach where the teams are required to come together to form a structured and focused way including the mediators, experts related to the project, team members, and facilitators.
- It boosts productivity.
- It’s a tight-knit collaboration that reduces errors.
- The focus on the process is less.
- It might be not the best approach for traditional business structure.
Is It For You?
This one is suitable for you if you are looking for increasing the cohesion of the project team and boost productivity. Also, it reduces the chance of errors which is another beneficial point for the manager.
Takeaway: the methodology suits any project team, also it’s ideal for customer involvement.
The crystal method focuses on the collaborating environment. It includes the people involved in the tools and process.
Here is more focused on the more people communicate freely as individuals, the more it will self-regulate.
Also, it abandons the requirement of form or management which is a process-based approach completely.
The more the environment is productive, it will stimulate people into taking more actions and interactions.
It focuses on the requirements of the client, and the product matches it throughout the process.
Also, it includes four different approaches depending on the team size i.e :
- Red Crystal has 50 to 100 people on the team.
- Clear Crystal has 8 or fewer people on the team.
- Orange Crystal has 20 to 50 people on the team.
- Yellow Crystal has 10 to 20 people on the team.
- It allows focusing on building a quality product
- It listens to customers
- It’s different as compared to the traditional one.
- It can take a long time to understand for managers who are using traditional methodologies.
Is It For You?
The methodologies are suitable if you have the flexibility to focus more on customers instead of the process, this approach will be beneficial.
Takeaway: Crystal methodology is an ideal option especially if you are looking for heavy customer involvement. It focuses more on people and values collaboration.
Outcome mapping approaches to improve the processing within :
- Resesrach coummincation
- Internal Development
- Research Projects
- Policy Development
Well, it’s based on the concept of measuring as well as analyzing outcomes, also known as behavioral changes.
Outcome mapping or Om has two phases which are included such as :
- Record keeping phase
- Design phase.
With using this, the stakeholders can get possible outcomes and make decisions depending on what outcomes they get. This one can be used as a standalone methodology with other methods like Logframe analysis and Most Significant Change or MSC.
- It helps in keeping track of progress in projects.
- It helps in keeping the project focused.
- It’s not suitable for product production.
Is It For You ?
This one is perfect for researchers, think tanks, policy makers, non profit , international organizations who have similar mission and vision , they will get the most benefit from Outcome mapping.
Takeaway : Using OM can help in keeping the vision of the project in line and conducting the daily basis.
Adaptive covers the struggles that the old project management methods find difficult to cope with to meet the challenges of future project management.
Well, it’s also known as the Adaptive project framework which allows the project manager to propose the course of action which can measure the success of each phase’s literation.
It includes the stages such as :
The managers can learn the lessons by each iteration and it can be an experiment or do the changes.
- It’s extremely flexible
- It copes with the future challenges in the project.
- It gives freedom to defining the approach and changing the requirements.
- It’s not suitable for a rigid structure.
Is it For You?
For managers who require the freedom as well as flexibility in adjusting and requirements, Adaptive project management is for them to consider.
Takeaway :Well, the use of adaptive project management can be nimble and help in keeping the fast pace to the project environment.
It also holds efficacy and creativity as an important key.
Package Enabled Reengineering Or PER focuses on directing the traditional mindset as
well as look at the product from a different as well as fresh perspective.
This helps in coming up with something new and innovative for redesigning the product.
Most of the companies who are innovative driven adopt PER due to its staying true to the culture of innovation approach.
It requires analyzing the current process, designing, structuring as well as managing and aiming to replace the inefficiencies after finding them.
- It’s helpful to come up with new and innovative ideas.
- Gives a fresh perspective for the company’s product
- It helps in optimizing existing processes.
- It’s not good for an already efficiently operating business environment.
Is It For You?
Well, it’s for you if you are looking to redesign your current process or the product. This one can be helpful for you to consider.
Takeaway: Package Enabled Reengineering is good to consider when the business is rethinking its identifying itself or planning to reemerge.
More To Explore:
- Project Management For Small Businesses: A Guide
- 30+ Popular Scheduling Tools & Techniques For Project Management
- 19 Project Management Certifications You Can’t Miss
- 30 Best Project Management Tools To Go For In 2023
- An Ultimate Guide To Gantt Charts For 2023
“Vision, strategy, and inspiration – these three words describe me the best. I am the founder of “TheLeaderboy” dedicated to leadership and personal development. As a self-taught practitioner, I have been studying the principles of effective leadership for the past decade and my passion lies in sharing my insights with others. My mission is to empower individuals to become better leader