Charismatic leadership and Transformational leadership have different classifications and key differences.
Both styles have their own deep history; Charismatic leadership focuses on the leader’s attraction and charm in order to create so the followers can feel inspired and devoted to following them.
As for Transformational leadership, the change in the social system or in individuals creates the vision of collective people.
To know more about the differences, here is what you will need.
- Charismatic And Transformational Leadership
- Charismatic Leadership Vs. Transformational Leadership
- Which Style Is Best To Choose?
Charismatic And Transformational Leadership
There are some key differences along with similarities that both leaders share, even though it depends on the leaders and other factors as to who the leadership can result in, but understanding more about this can be good for insight.
Well, the charismatic leadership style is when a leader’s charismatic qualities are used to inspire others so they can contribute to the greatest future.
It can be motivational and inspirational, which can help in boosting unity, productivity, and engagement in the organization.
Here are some of the important points to know better about Charismatic leadership:
- Leadership focuses on inspiring and influencing others.
- It’s tightly connected to the leader’s personality and charisma.
- Also, it has more personality bound as compared to other styles of leadership/
- The leader often has to connect their personal views on passion and morals.
- The leader has to use the motions of the followers who can recognize, appreciate and follow the moral as well as the passion of this.
Transformational leaders are those who inspire and lead others by example.
The leader must believe in the member that they can transform and encourage them to become someone much better, reach to their higher performance and boost their productivity.
To understand, it includes :
- The leader, as well as the team, have to work together so they can know what needs to change and create a vision for the future.
- Leadership is about giving authority and empowering the individual in the company as the segment of transformational leadership.
- The leader has to take a positive attitude and create higher productivity.
Positive And Negative Side Of Both Leadership Styles
The leadership styles have their own pointers regarding the best and how negative they can result. It depends on many factors like what type of organization, goals, setting, working environment, purpose, etc.
Here are some common positive and negative sides you might find in Charismatic and Transformational leadership.
- Charismatic leaders work to improve the quality of life.
- Charismatic leaders build the courage of conviction.
- Charismatic leadership stands for the people who have different opinions
- Transformational leadership keeps companies ethical, honest and open.
- Transformational leadership reduces turnover costs.
- Transformational leadership can encourage change.
- Transformational leadership is known to be an effective form of leadership.
The Setbacks –
- Charismatic leadership relies too much on leaders.
- Charismatic leadership can be changed according to perception.
- The leadership creates a lack of chastity.
- Transformational leaders focus on the bigger picture too much.
- Transformational leadership can be disruptive and risky.
- Transformational leadership creates pressure on members of a team.
- Transformational leadership creates employee burnout.
Charismatic Leadership Vs. Transformational Leadership
There is no doubt that both leaders have their own purpose. Here are some of the points to know more about the differences between them.
- Transformational leadership puts together the vision of the group.
- In charisma, the leader has the vision to become everyone else too.
- Transformational leadership has a democratic approach when it comes to setting the vision.
- Charismatic leadership’s vision or cause is the end result.
- The transformation; leadership style puts higher pressure on developing and improving the people in the team.
- People who leaders lead following charismatic leaders are much more like followers instead of participants.
Empowering And Being Transparent
- Charismatic leadership builds obedience to a certain extent that followers must follow. It means they have to do what they have been told, with less effort into explaining and transparency.
- Transformational leadership is the opposite, as it focuses on empowering the team members so they can contribute, take the initiative, and engage. This can be a way of increasing productivity/
- Charismatic leadership has less or no focus on empowering the followers.
Developing The Members Of team
- Transformational leadership has the key purpose of developing team members so they can evolve and learn.
- The transformational focus so it can be more developed for the future and the key element helps achieve the vision and make it stronger for the next.
- Charisma leadership develops the people but not in the focus area; it’s a part where they have to fulfill the vision that the leader has.
- Here the focus is less on building or developing and using the full ability of members, where the leader has to use everything.
Which Style Is Best To Choose?
Even though the leaderships have its own set of uses, and it can be suitable for different purposes.
For example. Charismatic leadership is good for articles of encouragement, communication, and power of personality in order to motivate as well as behave in a certain way.
That’s why a lot of politicians and activists have been using this style to share their vision with others and get others in the same boat.
It connects people on a subconscious level, where the people follow the leaders with the belief that they are doing what is needed.
Transformational leadership is good for inspiring people to look ahead, focus on better goods and function as one unit that shares the same goal.
With less focus on leaders, the overall vision makes it more participative and adds to the contribution.
It’s good if there is a major change in the system or organization that requires every single employee’s contribution and participation.
But What To Choose –
Even then, transformational leadership is much better than charismatic leadership.
It includes :
- The leader can be charismatic and transformational.
- The style suits best if the leader is not passionate about an issue or cause.
- Charismatic leadership might be different as it’s a one-man show that gives others less control.
- Creating a vision together with the help of others can give much more confidence and possibilities to make It achievable.
- Transformation is much more suitable if the leaders care about the people and need their participation to fulfill the vision.
- The leader is autocratic and unwilling to explain the transparency; they can use charismatic leadership to ensure they have the great vision and the charisma needed.
- Transformational Leadership: Inspire and Motivate
- What is Charismatic Leadership?
- Charismatic Leadership Characteristics
- Difference Between Transactional And Transformational Leadership
- How To Build High-Performing Teams?
Carol T. Mahaffey is a certified American Author And a creator of Theleaderboy. Carol is a Self-Taught Marketer with 10+ Years of Experience. She brings her decade of experience to her current role, where she is dedicated to writing books, blogs, and articles, inspiring the world on how to become a better Leader.